Rui Xiong, Ph.D, IET Fellow
Full Professor, Dept. of Vehicle Engineering, Beijing Institute of Technology
Deputy Director, Beijing Engineering Research Center of Electric Vehicles
Director, Advanced Energy Storage and Application (AESA) Group
2018 ~2021 Global Highly Cited Researchers from Clarivate Analytics
Google Citation: H index=66, Citations=16003
Tel./Fax.: + 86-10-6891 4070, Email: rxiong#bit.edu.cn
Biography: Rui Xiong received the M.Sc.Eng degree in vehicle engineering and the Ph.D. degree in mechanical engineering from Beijing Institute of Technology, Beijing, China, in 2010 and 2014, respectively. He is a Professor at the Beijing Institute of Technology, Beijing, China. From 2019 to 2020, he was a Visiting Professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, USA. He has authored more than 160 journal papers,5 monographs and holds more than 40 patents. His research interests include Intelligent electrified vehicles, energy storage, batteries, and machine learning. Dr. Xiong is an IET Fellow. He has been continuously selected as the HIGHLY CITED RESEARCHER from Clarivate Analytics from 2018 to 2021. He was recipients of the First Prize of Natural Science Award of the Ministry of Education of China (2nd awardee), China Automobile Industry Technology Invention Award (2nd awardee) and China Electrotechnical Society Technology Invention Award (1st awardee). He is the Founding Director of the Energy Storage System and Equipment Technical Committee of China Electrotechnical Society. He serves as Founding executive Editor-in-Chief for the new journal Green Energy and Intelligent Transportation, Associate Editors for the IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation System and Applied Energy. He is also the Founding Chair of the International Conference on Energy storage and electric Intelligent Vehicles (ICEIV) and served as the Conference Chair for four consecutive times.
Sch. Mechanical Engineering, Beijing Inst. Technol
D. EE, Swinburne University of Technology
Dec 2019-Jul 2020
D. Materials Science-Eng, Massachusetts Inst Technol
Sep 2014-Jun 2019
S. Mechanical Engineering, Beijing Inst Technol
Sep 2012-Jan 2014
C. Electrical - Computer, Univ Michigan-Dearborn
Research Projects (View More)
1. Intelligent Management and Optimization Control of Battery System for New Energy Vehicles, National Science Foundation for Excellent Young Scholars of China, PI, 2020.01-2022.12
2. Lithium-ion battery performance degradation mechanism and durability energy managemen, National Science Foundation of China, PI, 2019.01-2022.12
3. Integrated Analysis and Evaluation of Battery System Based on Bus Big Data, Ministry of Science and Technology of the People's Republic of China, PI, 2018.05-2021.1
4. Fault Tolerance and Adaptive Control of Fuel Cell Power System, Ministry of Science and Technology of the People's Republic of China, PI, 2018.05-2021.1
Books (View More)
1. XIONG Rui. The core algorithm of battery management system (Second Edition). Beijing: Mechanical Industry Press, 2021. [Chinese version] (View)
2. XIONG Rui. The core algorithm of battery management system. Beijing: Mechanical Industry Press, 2018. [Chinese version] (View)
3. XIONG Rui, SHEN Weixiang. Advanced Battery Management Technologies for Electric Vehicles, Wiley, 2019. (View)
4. XIONG Rui. Battery Management Algorithm for Electric Vehicles, Springer, 2019. (View)
5. Xiong Rui, He Hongwen. Integrated Management Foundation of Electric Vehicle Composite Power System. Beijing: Chemical Industry Press, 2019. [Chinese version] (View)
Peer-Reviewed Papers (View More)
●Y. Duan, J. Tian*, J. Lu, C. Wang, W. Shen and R. Xiong*, "Deep Neural Network Battery Impedance Spectra Prediction by Only Using Constant-Current Curve", Energy Storage Materials, vol. 41, pp. 24-31, October 2021.
●J. Tian, R. Xiong*, W. Shen, J. Lu and X. Yang, “Deep Neural Network Battery Charging Curve Prediction by Using 30 Points Collected in 10 Minutes”, Joule, vol. 5, no.6, pp. 1521-1534, June 2021.
●R. Yang, R. Xiong*, W. Shen and X. Lin, “Extreme Learning Machine Based Thermal Model for Lithium-ion Batteries of Electric Vehicles under External Short Circuit”, Engineering, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 395-405, Mar 2021.
●J. Tian, R. Xiong*, W. Shen and J. Lu, "State-of-charge estimation of LiFePO4 batteries in electric vehicles: A deep learning enabled approach", Applied Energy, vol. 291, pp. 116812, June 2021.
●J. Tian, R. Xiong*, W. Shen and F. Sun, "Electrode Aging Estimation and Open-Circuit Voltage Reconstruction for Lithium-Ion Batteries", Energy Storage Materials, vol. 37, pp. 283-295, May 2021.
●R. Xiong*, J. Wang, W. Shen, J. Tian and H. Mu, "Co-Estimation of State of Charge and Capacity for Lithium-ion Batteries with Multi-Stage Model Fusion Method", Engineering, 2021, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eng.2020.10.022.
●R. Xiong, W. Sun, Q. Yu* and F. Sun, “Research progress, challenges and prospects of fault diagnosis on battery system of electric vehicles,” Applied Energy, vol. 279, pp.115855, Dec 2020.
●R. Xiong*, Y. Pan, W. Shen, H.L. Li and F. C. Sun, "Lithium-ion battery aging mechanisms and diagnosis method for automotive applications: Recent advances and perspectives", Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 131, pp. 110048, Oct 2020.
●J. Tian, R. Xiong*, W. Shen and W. Ju, “A Comparative Study of Fractional Order Models on State of Charge Estimation for Lithium Ion Batteries,” Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering, vol. 33, pp. 51, July 2020.
●J. Tian, R. Xiong* and W. Shen, "State-of-Health Estimation Based on Differential Temperature for Lithium Ion Batteries," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 10363-10373, Oct 2020.
●R. Xiong*, S. Ma, H. Li, F. Sun and J.Li, “Towards a Safer Battery Management System: A Critical Review on Diagnosis and Prognosis of Battery Short Circuit”, iScience, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 101010, April 2020.
●R. Xiong, L. Li, Q. Yu*, Q. Jin and R. Yang, “A set membership theory based parameter and state of charge co-estimation method for all-climate batteries,” Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 249, pp. 119380, March 2020.
●R. Yang, R. Xiong*, S. Ma and X. Lin, ”Characterization of external short circuit faults in electric vehicle Li-ion battery packs and prediction using artificial neural networks,” Applied Energy, vol. 260, pp. 114253, Feb 2020.
●R. Xiong*, R. Yang, Z.Y. Chen, W.X. Shen and F.C. Sun, "Online Fault Diagnosis of External Short Circuit for Lithium-ion Battery Pack", IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol 67, no. 2, pp. 1081-1091, Feb 2020.
●R. Xiong, Q. Yu*, W. Shen, C.Lin and F. Sun, "A Sensor Fault Diagnosis Method for a Lithium-Ion Battery Pack in Electric Vehicles", IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, 2019, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 9709-9718, OCT 2019.
●R. Xiong*, J.Tian, W. Shen and F. Sun, "A novel fractional order model for state of charge estimation in lithium ion batteries", IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 68, no.5, pp.4130-4139, May 2019.
●R. Xiong, Y. Zhang*, J. Wang, H. He, S. Peng, Michael Pecht, "Lithium-ion battery health prognosis based on a real battery management system used in electric vehicles", IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 68, no.5, pp. 4110-4121, May 2019.
●R. Xiong, J. Cao, Q. Yu*, “Reinforcement learning-based real-time power management for hybrid energy storage system in the plug-in hybrid electric vehicle,” Appl Energy, vol. 211, pp. 538-548, Feb 2018.
●R. Xiong, Y. Zhang*, H. He, X. Zhou, Michael Pecht, “A double-scale, particle-filtering, energy state prediction algorithm for lithium-ion batteries,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol.65, no.2, pp.1526-1538, Feb 2018.
Awards and Honors (View more)
1. 2018~2020 Global Highly Cited Researchers from Clarivate Analytics
2. 2019 Most Cited Chinese Researchers from Elsevier
3. Chinese National 100 most Influential International Academic Papers (2015, 2016, 2017, 2019)；
4. First Prize of Natural Science Award of the Ministry of Education of China in 2018
5. First Prize of the Chinese Automobile Industry Science and Technology Invention Award in 2018
6. 2018 Best Vehicular Electronics Paper Award
7. First Prize of China automobile industry science and Technology Progress Award
Society activities (View more)
1. Associate Editor: IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, IET Intelligent Transport Systems, IET Power Electronics
2. Editor board: Applied Energy, Electrical Engineering, International Journal of Green Energy, eTransportation
3. Conference Chair: International Symposium on Batteries and Management Technology (ISBM 2019), International Conference on Electric and Intelligent Vehicles (ICEIV 2019), International Conference on Electric and Intelligent Vehicles (ICEIV 2018), International Symposium on Electric Vehicles (ISEV2017)
4. Chairman: Battery System Subcommittee at IEEE PES Electric Vehicle Satellite Committee-China
5. IET Fellow, IEEE Senior member